Saturday, May 17, 2008

My Mission

My dear friend, Susan, recommended a wonderful book, which I have begun reading. It is titled, "The Mission of Motherhood" by Sally Clarkson and God has really been speaking to me through it. I am beginning to learn of the amazing journey of motherhood with all of it's wonder, joy and challenges. I was especially struck by this quote, taken from the above book, "This is one of the best ways I can be a servant leader to my children. When I model patience in the midst of difficulty, joy in the midst of messes, contentment in the midst of lack, then I provide them a pattern for their own lives. They will learn that my joy is not circumstantial but real because I have an endless source of strength through the power of the Holy Spirit in my life. . . At the same time, we mothers need to recognize what a powerful effect our attitude has on our children. Laying down our lives for them can indeed mean giving up, for their sakes, our right to wallow in our negative feelings. And choosing the path of servant leadership certainly means making the effort to respond in faith to our circumstances and our feelings, turning to the Lord for help in maintaining a hopeful attitude. The beauty of such an effort, of course, is that it has the power to lift us up even as it sustains our children's spirits." (p 73) Matthew 20:25-28 says, "Jesus called them together and said, 'You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,a nd whoever wants to be first must be your slave- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

How often do I desire to do things my way and in my time!!! But, God is teaching me through the gift of Ewan, that I am NOT number 1 and that is played out in the everyday grind- cleaning floors, wiping his nose (over and over again!), stewardship of the monetary resources God has blessed us with, making meals, cleaning toilets (yuck!), and teaching and playing with my dear, sweet son.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seriously love the quote you pulled from your new book. It sounds like a very affirming book. I may have to borrow when you are finished...also - cute new pics posted!!! I love em!